Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bow Self-Esteem

Today is the start of week 16... Day 112 of my bowstravaganza. I have been wearing a bow for 30% of a year.

I have been taking some time to ponder my self-esteem. Sometimes I am very self-conscious while I wait alone for the metro. Even with my bow. I am not a fan of feeling like I am being watched. Which is, I guess, ironic. I wear a bow... The first conclusions one would probably come to are that:

1) That girl is wearing a bow. She must be different/quirky.
2) That girl is wearing a bow. She must want attention.

I guess there is some truth to that, but sometimes I am self-conscious and don't want to be looked at. I assume this to be a fairly common human experience, but I am not really sure. It won't lead me to de-bow my hair, but sometimes I just want my bow to be in my heart instead of on my head. I think it's natural to feel like that a small percentage (~1 to 2%) of the time.

Here are some bows and headbands I am slightly self-conscious of. Enjoy.
I expected this brown headband to turn out a bit more... jazzy than it did. It is very subtle and nearly invisible in my hair. It is also not very even upon inspection.

This one looks blue above and purple below. It is uneven looking to me, which makes me question its craftsmanship.

Uneven loops... I didn't even tie it off.
I wear this in my bike helmet. To solve the dilemma presented in my "Bows and Bikes" post. I guess the loops could be more even...

The point I am getting to... just because something isn't perfect doesn't mean I should let it lower my self-esteem. Or make me self-conscious about presenting it to the world. Sometimes the beauty is in the imperfections. Hand-crafted and perfect are not often synonymous, and I have to make that okay for me. I bet most people wouldn't have noticed anything wrong with these bows...

Bow Contemplating Love!

- Bow Girl

2 comments:

  1. We all have days where we'd rather float around invisibly. Sometimes I wish I could be a ghost, just haunting my own life for a bit, pressure-less. I always like to see you though, so I'm glad you aren't.

    Somethings that help me sometimes: "Done is better than perfect" and "Perfection is shallow, unreal and fatally uninteresting." Also, helps to remind myself that anyone I know will be dead in 80 years (give or take) and the world will be filled by all new people. Morbid, a bit, but it helps me feel at ease when I'm having really self-concious days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the scallop-y blue/purple one is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete