Sunday, March 13, 2011

Why bows? Why now?

1) I am a first year college student at a mid-sized university that is known for its medical school... Most people from my home town haven't heard of it unless they're a physician or in academia.

2) I love to crochet all sorts of things: hats, bows, flowers, and experimenting with/inventing new stitches and patterns.

3) I am always looking to improve myself as a person. If I'm not my best me, what me am I?

But still, what does this have to do with bows, exactly?

A few weeks ago was National Engineers Week, lovingly referred to as "EnWeek." I was at my school's EnWeek kickoff party, and there was a large spool of bright orange yarn (orange is the color of engineering), and I crocheted an orange rose. I wore the rose all week long to display my pride in the fact that I am a woman in engineering, and I was so delighted every time I saw my little orange rose in the mirror.

The bow made me feel strangely confident. It represented my personality to a T. People either loved the bow or scoffed at the bow. It helped me figure out who really likes and supports me as a person, and who is primarily concerned in my superficial traits. It's made me a new friend, a girl who often wears a flower in her hair. And it still makes me smile every time I look in the mirror, even after nearly a month.

Every Friday, I go to the commons and make a bow or flower. It only takes 15 minutes or so, and it is so rewarding to get to wear the fruits of my labor.

Here is where it gets interesting: I am going to wear a crocheted hair ornament EVERY day, EVERY time I am in public for a year, starting today, March 13, 2011. If you see me without one, you are probably dreaming.

Here is the EnWeek Flower that started it all:



Here is my current bow collection:



Here are some flower prototypes (not yet attached to headbands):





Happy day one!

-Bow Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment