Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bow FAQs

There are some questions I have been asked pretty often, and I plan on addressing as many as I can in this post.

FAQs:

1. Do I make every bow I wear?

Yes, I make every single bow I wear. Part of the fun of my yearlong bowstravaganza is that I have to actually make the bows. I could have easily bought out Forever 21 of all their hair accessories, but that would not be the same!

2. Do you make a new bow every day?

No I do not. Some days I make 3 bows or flowers or crocheted items, other days I make none. It really depends. Like my bows, no two days are exactly the same.

3. Did I give away bows to the worker at Bear Mart?

Yes, I surprised Dorothy with a bow yesterday. She wore it while she was working. She didn't steal it, it was an April Fool's Gift. See older posts for more info.

4. Do you sleep in a bow? What about showers? How will you swim this summer?

I do NOT sleep or shower in bows. The tossing and turning involved in sleeping would lead to early deterioration of my bows, and you can't properly wash your hair with a headband in. This summer I don't plan on swimming all that much. If i do, I will wear an old bow or make one especially for that purpose.

5. Can you teach me how to make a bow?

Probably not. My process is very experimental, and there really is no specific pattern. It also depends on the yarn, the gauge of your crochet hook, and many other factors.

6. Do you knit?

Yes I do! I actually used to be a knitter and not a crocheter, but I like crocheting better now because:

a) You can take a crochet hook on a plane. Knitting needles, not so much.
b) You can't drop stitches in crocheting, whereas dropping stitches in knitting is hugely frustrating.
c) Crocheting is better in terms of time investment. I can crochet a hat in less than two hours. Knitted hats would take more time (about a week taking breaks, of course). Knitted stitches tend to be smaller.
d) Knitting hurts my wrists and fingers. Crocheting for hours doesn't give my any pain or hand troubles.
e) 1 crochet hook does the same work as two knitting needles (less to hold, less equipment to keep track of).
f) Crocheting is more fun for me! I could list 100 more reasons why, but I am a crocheter for now!

So now you know...

Happy Saturday! Today is day 20 since I declared my year long bowfest. Pretty soon you will forget what I look like without a bow (besides my Facebook pictures)!

No comments:

Post a Comment